1.13.2013

Swedish Sunday: The Scream

During my four months in Stockholm, I lived in a residence of sorts called "Campus Lappis." Lappis takes you back to your undergraduate days filled with students learning how to do laundry for the first time, cook meals from home (all in a shared kitchen...), master the fine art of balancing studying and socializing, and ultimately making life long friends. The only residence actually on campus, Lappis is surrounded by forest, perfectly located right on the edge of Stockholm University and a quick five minute walk to a local beach.

Perhaps the most interesting part of Lappis is a tradition occurs every Tuesday at 10pm. If you are not aware of it, the first time can be quite terrifying...

Ah, the Lappis scream. It is quite disturbing but I must say, a pretty great tradition. 

At 10pm every Tuesday night, everyone puts down the books, highlighters, and/or beer, opens their windows, and screams at the top of their lungs. No one has any idea where the tradition came from, or how long it has been around, but no one seems to care.

I admittedly felt too old to participate with my 18-20 year old counterparts for the first couple of weeks. The day I finally opened up my window and let out a scream, I was hooked. What a stress release!! I now believe we could all use a good old weekly scream to let any current frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...