11.11.2012

Swedish Sunday: The Music

I have been blessed to have visitors in Stockholm for the last couple of weeks. Seeing this City through fresh eyes has me appreciating the beauty of Sweden all over again. So here is the first in what will hopefully be a regular Swedish update. To set the stage, some Swedish music...


We all know that ABBA hails from Sweden, most will know the same applies for Roxette, but you probably didn't know that one hit wonder Eagle Eyed Cherry is in the same boat.  Remember, saaave tonight, fight the break of dawn, come tomorrow, tomorrow I'll be gone....


I nearly lost my mind when I heard Roxette was playing in Stockholm at the grand opening of the Friends Arena; a building under construction for four years, and named after a local charity fighting bullying.  Needless to say, I bought tickets.

The grand opening was a concert celebrating Swedish artists; from Roxette, to the Hives, recent Eurovision winner Loreen, and Icona Pop. There were over 20 different artists in total, some we knew, and some we did not.




The show was absolutely amazing. However, crazier even than the pyrotechnics, dozens of acts, and spinning stages was the crowd.  While A, P, and I were bouncing our seats, belting out lyrics, and flailing our glow sticks about madly - the entire rest of the crowd sat dead quiet, politely golf clapping between acts.  Mind-blowing...

If you happen to be enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon (Sunday Funday for some), here are some Swedish sounds to enjoy.

Did you catch the reference to Stockholm in the first few lines?
Warning, a couple explicit lyrics in the video below. I considered leaving it out but the Icona Pop ladies are so big here, and this song is played everywhere.  It wouldn't be right...


Now excuse me while I dance around my room singing screaming Roxette lyrics. Happy Swedish Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...